Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Secret Weapons

Well, another week has passed at the KRAB...and yet another severe dust storm is upon us. Although somewhat comical in their consistency, they do tend to disrupt airflow (AKA: flights landing and taking off). I'm pretty sure the several members of our group who were scheduled to depart today after dutifully serving their 6-month term weren't laughing when the skies darkened yesterday. But, as always, a positive can be found if earnestly sought. And that upside comes in the form of cooler temperatures. Today, we all felt quite a reprieve from the heat and almost everyone noted how much "cooler" it felt. The thermometer at 2:30 this afternoon read 113. How about that for perspective!

To be complete, I should explain that last week was clear and HOT (even for Kirkuk). I have yet to find any reliable web sites for weather forecasting in the area, so those back home may not appreciate the realities of our summertime. And I know that the temperatures I'm writing about are accurate because our public health guys have a special thermometer directly outside the EMEDS (it reads dry temp, wet bulb temp, radiant heat temp and a few others). On Saturday, the hottest day, the dry bulb (standard thermometer) read 121.6 at 1:30PM! As proof, here is a pic from Friday (much cooler).


And the radiant heat temp (including the sun's rays and the heat reflected back off the ground...in other words, what we feel outside) read a toasty....

Don't feel too badly, though, because we're quite accustomed to it by now. In fact, I find myself really looking forward to our early Saturday morning run around the base when the temps are still in the 90's.

As the days without anything resembling a surgical problem add up, we did have another VERY high point this week. It began with a connection made during treatment for a minor sports injury. To say thank you, a member of the group that shall remain nameless (at their request) offered to have us over for a BBQ. Naturally, we accepted and found ourselves enjoying some of the finest sirloin and rib eye steaks I have ever tasted! These guys new how to do it...with sauteed onions, garlic and plentiful sides. Again, their method of acquiring of these foods shall remain undisclosed. However, they saved the best for later and quietly invited us out to the weapons range one afternoon for some serious guy fun. Our hosts brought several fully automatic rifles, high-end pistols and a suppressive fire rifle that laid down 800 rounds per minute. I'm sure you can gather from these pics what an awesome time we had!


















(I like this action shot with shells flying)





(The SAW)

Cita, thanks again for the SWEET box of goodies you sent! I couldn't be more proud of your amazing single-parenting skills with our lil' man. And, I love you always.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Greg, I don't know how you can stand those high temps! We think we're dying here at 103..
    I love the words you use like 'earnestly.' That is such a lovely, old-fashioned word! I think I will incorporate it into my vocabulary! Maybe teach it to Braden and Christian..
    We are having fun getting to know your family better. Braden is starting to feel at home here I think. He calls this Christians house! Well, Rachel is here all the time so no wonder.
    We are done with a wedding, 4 birthdays, and our 35th anniversary. Tired, but glad they are all over with now. Next big event will be neck surgery for me in Sept. The fun never ends...
    We miss you and are doing our best to be available for CJ and Braden. I know they are leaving for 2 weeks on Mon so we will be fish feeding and mail retrievers while they are gone.
    I'm not sure how I feel about your gun shooting, looks a little scary to me!
    How is walk going with the Lord? Lead anyone to Christ yet?? What is happening with bible studies and chapel there?
    YOu have my e-mail address, feel free to drop me a note now and then, I would love to hear from you!
    God bless,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are awesome! I can't wait to show Raun (if he hasn't already seen them.) So glad you are finding ways to stay entertained. And I thought MS was hot. 129 is unreal. We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete